WHEN Mike Spencer saw a beautiful gold watch in a jeweller’s, he could not resist buying it.

It was a Smiths ‘Everest’ watch, so-called because they were made specially for Sir Edmund Hillary’s famous 1953 expedition to conquer Mount Everest.

It also contains another slice of history – on the back, it bears the inscription ‘Pressed Steel Company Limited, JE Nelson 1937-1962’.

It would appear that the watch was presented to JE Nelson when he or she became a member of the Pressed Steel 25 Year Club, an honour given to those who had completed 25 years at the Cowley car body plant.

Memory Lane this week

Mr Spencer, who lives in Norwich, writes: “I saw the watch for sale in a Norwich jeweller’ s shop and fell in love with it.

“Smiths ceased production [of watches] in 1979, but it is clear from other watches for sale that they supplied many watches for company presentations to long-serving employees.

“When I was a child, we had a Smiths ‘Sectric’ electric wall clock and, until seeing the watch, I had no idea that Smiths even made watches.

“I've never owned a real gold watch before and the fact that it has two bits of history attached to it makes it rather special to me.

“I sometimes wear it at home (not outside, as it is precious and is not waterproof). It has a lovely tick and feels very comfortable.

“The inscription and the Hillary connection give me the feeling that it has a real personality.”

Mr Spencer would like to hear from anyone who knew JE Nelson or has information about the 1963 dinner at which the watch would have been presented. As we have recalled, the company held an annual dinner, often at the Randolph Hotel, at which the newest members to reach 25 years’ service were welcomed to the 25 Year Club.

The managing director or other senior executive would present each one with a club pin and a gold watch.

The dinner was usually followed by cabaret, featuring well-known local artists.

The 1968 dinner, for example, honoured 106 workers – 93 men and 13 women – who had completed 25 years in 1967.

The evening began with a menu of prawn cocktail, tournedos Tyrolienne, apple strudel and cream, cheeseboard, coffee and wine.

Then there was cabaret featuring comedian and compere Felix Bowness, accordion player and singer Marie Hyde, dancers Ray and Jackie Penn, pianist Peter Williams, multi-instrumentalist Johnny Laycock and Tracey Miller, described as a “lovely TV and recording artiste”.

The 25 Year Club pins and gold watches that year were presented by the company’s managing director, John Lutyens.

The evening finished promptly at 10.50pm with the singing of the National Anthem.

At the 1964 dinner, 205 new recipients were honoured, while at the 1960 event, 244 members joined the club.

The 1960 cabaret starred the late Bob Monkhouse and also included Felix Bowness (comedy compere), the Coleman Sisters (dancing duo), Gwen Overton and Clive Stock (voices in harmony) and Trevor Smith (piano).

Spouses were apparently not invited but wives received a bouquet of flowers from the company on the day of the dinner.

Does anyone recall JE Nelson, have details of the 1963 dinner and know why the watch ended up in a Norwich jeweller’s?

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.