I ENCLOSE a picture of Class 3 at Northfield School, Littlemore. I am in the second row from the front on the left. I remember some of the names, but not all.
I believe the picture was taken in about 1949.
Pictured above are, back row, left to right: ?, Mary?, Anita Trafford, Doreen Scott, ?, Pauline Crawford, Nancy Clarke. Third row: Eunice Irving, ?, ?, ?, ?, Malcolm Tipping, ?, ?, ?
Second row: Marion Powell, Doreen Hignell, ?Parder, ?, Jim Munt, ?, ?
Front row: Alma Taylor, Maureen Merry, Janet Chamberlain, Mr Walsh, ?, Mr McGill (headmaster), Miss Orchard, ?.

MARION WEST (nee Powell)
Blenheim Way
Horspath

Memory Lane this week

I RECALL many happy memories of the day when Headington United played Bolton Wanderers in the FA Cup fourth round before a crowd of 16,870 in 1954 (Memory Lane, October 6).

Makeshift seats with concrete blocks and builders’ planks were installed to accommodate small boys who were eager to see the game. I was one of those little boys, aged 10 at the time.

The game, which Headington United lost 4-2, was a great credit to the team and congratulations must go to them for reaching that stage.

Earlier, I remember when the radio reports were passed around our school – St Andrew’s at Headington – telling us that Headington had beaten Millwall and Stockport.

I remember being given a pork pie by one of the Bolton supporters. This tasted very good and added to the bag of food which I took to the match after leaving home about 11am. I also remember the self-appointed schoolteacher, complete with mortarboard and gown, who conducted the crowd with ‘2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate – H-E-A-D-I-N-G-T-O-N, Headington!’. This really added to the atmosphere and a jolly good time was had by all!

After the match, the pitch was swarming with fans, but there was no bother, which was probably appreciated by the local constabulary!

This was a great moment for the local team and I am pleased to look back over 60 years.

KEN HUDSON
Waverley Avenue
Kidlington

THIS time of year reminds me that when I was a lad, a group of us boys from St Ebbe’s, Oxford, would go to Gloucester Green and sing carols to the bus passengers as they waited to go home.

The most angelic looking boy would be chosen to take the cap round and collect money.

We found that the best buses to go for were the Witney ones. We would share the money out in the waiting room, then run home with our pockets full of pennies, jingling all the way.

RON TOMBS
(formerly of) Farm Road
Abingdon

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.