I ENCLOSE a photograph with ‘More Kitchener recruits’ written on it, obviously, given the age of those involved, a tongue-in-cheek reference to Lord Kitchener’s call for recruits to join the British Army at the start of the First World War.

My maternal grandfather, George Herbert Cooper, who was born in Lyndhurst in the New Forest in 1906 and later married Margaret Mabel Thornett in Charlbury, is fourth from the right wearing the military cap. I have no idea of the names of the other children. Can anyone identify them?

S BUGGINS
Headington, Oxford

Memory Lane this week

Oxford Mail:

JESSIE Faulkner, who appeared in the picture of the potato team at Oaklands Farm, near Stonesfield, in the mid-1960s (Memory Lane, December 8), was my dear sister-in-law.

She lived for most of her married life in Charlbury.

Her maiden name was Andrews and she lived in Albert Street, St Ebbe’s, Oxford, before that area was demolished to make room for the Westgate Centre.

Her mother died when she, her sister Nora and two brothers, Frank and Ron (my late husband), were still at school.

She met a Canadian soldier during the Second World War who returned to Canada to be demobilised, then came back to England to marry Jessie.

I wonder if any readers remember the Andrews family of St Ebbe’s.

JEAN ANDREWS
Cholsey Close
Cowley, Oxford

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.