CRACKERS, balloons, presents, jelly and ice cream and, of course, Santa are the ingredients of a good Christmas party.

And over the years, children in particular have had plenty of festive fun, as these pictures from the Oxford Mail archives show.

Picture 1 shows a happy crowd at Thame Fire Brigade Social Club’s children’s party in 1967. About 40 children enjoyed tea, games and a film show at the brigade headquarters.

Oxford Mail:

• Picture 2

Seven-year-old twins Pamela, left, and Karen Timms, in Picture 2, were among 130 children at a party given by Smiths Industries at Witney in 1974.

Children and grandchildren of employees were invited. They watched a cartoon film show before sitting down to a party tea.

Money for the celebration was raised by staff, who ran a lunchtime tombola in the canteen.

Nearly 200 children attended the Oxford Post Office Sports and Social Club party at St James’s Hall, Cowley, in 1971.

Oxford Mail:

• Picture 3

Claire Golsbury is seen in Picture 3 pouring drinks. The party included games, films and a visit from Santa and each child received a box of sweets and a present to take home.

Grandmother Mary Hibberd organised a party every year for children and grandchildren of members of the Royal British Legion in Wootton, near Abingdon.

Oxford Mail:

• Picture 4

Picture 4 was taken in 1983 when 63 boys and girls sat down to a magnificent tea in the Legion hall.

Mrs Hibberd, of Sandleigh Road, Wootton, said: “I love doing it. I had five children of my own and always enjoyed doing parties for them.”

Oxford Mail:

• Picture 5

In Picture 5, young guests make friends with a miniature Father Christmas at a party organised by the Saturday Morning Activities Club, known as Smack, at Wallingford in 1972.

Young club members played host to a group of Uganda Asians from Greenham Common, Berkshire.

Oxford Mail:

• Picture 6

Picture 6 dates from 1973 and shows a child tucking into a plate of jelly at a party at Cowley community centre. If you know the identity of the youngster, please contact me at memory.lane @oxfordmail.co.uk

Memory Lane this week

• Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.