HAZEL Evans and Angela Reeve got jobs as cinema usherettes when they left school, but then found themselves bound by red tape.

A visitor to the Classic Cinema at Banbury in 1983 noticed their youthful faces and reported them to Cherwell District Council.

Although they had written permission from their parents to be present during the showing of adult films, the council, as licensing authority, had not given its approval.

But fears that they might not be allowed to work some nights or weeks were quickly dispelled – councillors agreed they could carry on viewing.

Memory Lane this week

Cinema manager Robin Hillman said: “Youngsters are far more at risk from video nasties than 18 category movies. They are responsible girls doing a job.”

Hazel, of Elizabeth Rise, Banbury, and Angela, of Dorchester Grove, Banbury, were delighted.

Hazel said: “I love the job and nothing I have seen so far would warp me for life.”

• Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.