WORKERS at Pressed Steel Fisher in Cowley were happy to stop work briefly and pose for the cameraman, but can anyone remember the occasion?

Jim Tanner, who worked at the plant for 43 years, found the photograph among a large collection of memorabilia at his home in Littlemore Road, Cowley.

He believes the picture was taken at a presentation of some kind, perhaps a retirement, as some of the company bosses, in the dark suits at the front, were present.

He tells me: “I must be in the picture, somewhere at the back. It probably dates from the 1960s.”

Memory Lane this week

The picture was taken in V Building although, judging from the number of people there, it appears that workers from other parts of the factory attended the ceremony.

As we recalled (Memory Lane, October 20), V Building had been used for the production of shells for the military during the Second World War.

After the war, it returned to making car bodies for the neighbouring Morris Motors’ car assembly plant and other motor manufacturers, including Rolls-Royce.

However, other work was done at the plant, including the manufacture of cupboards for much-needed post-war housing and refrigerators.

Mr Tanner spent nine months at Pressed Steel making ammunition boxes before being called up to join the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in 1943.

He served in North Africa and Italy and after the war, returned to Pressed Steel, where he spent most of his working life.

Mr Tanner was well known at greyhound meetings at Oxford Stadium, where he worked as a kennel boy earning £1 a week and later as head lad, earning £2 10s a week.

How many workers can we identify in the picture above? And can anyone tell us anything about the occasion?

Write and let me know with any information.

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.