THOSE were the days when fans flocked to Oxford Stadium to enjoy a night of speedway.

Reader Bill Law, of Faringdon, came across these programmes recalling the thrills served up by the Cheetahs on the track on Thursday evenings.

He writes: “As there has been much coverage of the future of the stadium, I thought your readers might like to see them.

“The programme cost one shilling (5p) – how much would it cost today? I think we paid 7s 6d (37½p) to get in. I wonder what the entry fee would be today?

“We used to go to Swindon speedway on Saturday evenings and Oxford speedway on Thursdays.”

The stadium featured not only Oxford Cheetahs’ league clashes but also championship events.

The Midland Riders’ Championships on August 1, 1968 brought plenty of excitement for spectators.

Oxford Mail:

Ronnie Genz.

The Oxford Mail reported: “Oxford Cheetah Ronnie Genz brought the Midland Riders’ Championship qualifying round to a rousing climax with a splendid victory in the most tense and exciting race of the night.

“The honour of top scorer of the evening was still wide open as the four contenders – Genz, team-mate Eddie Reeves, Cradley Heath and former Oxford Cheetah Roy Trigg and Swindon’s Bob Kilby – came up to the tapes for the crucial last race.

“Reeve led out of the first bend, but quickly fell back when Genz and Trigg thrust themselves in front. Trigg tried everything he knew to outwit Genz, but the Oxford man rode superbly to win a great battle with four yards to spare.

“Genz’s effort, however, was not enough to make him leading scorer, Trigg finishing the night with 14 points, one more than Genz.”

Oxford Mail:

Oxford Cheetahs’ skipper Eddie Reeves receives a gold medal from teammate Ronnie Genz after winning a World Qualifying Championship round at Oxford Stadium in 1969.

The Speedway Champions’ Trophy meeting three weeks later ended with angry fans besieging the pits to challenge the result.

The contest was between Ivan Manger, of Newcastle, and Nigel Boocock, of Coventry, and everything hinged on the last race.

The Mail reported: “If Boocock had won, a run-off would have been necessary to decide the title.

“Many people, including some officials, thought Boocock had won. But referee Mr W G Hall ruled that Manger had kept his nose in front at the finish.”

Boocock’s fans gathered at the pits and staged a noisy demonstration to get the result changed, but to no avail.

• Any speedway highlights to share with readers? Write and let me know.

Memory Lane: