READERS were quick to recognise that the picture of the lorry in a picturesque street (Memory Lane, June 16) was taken at Dorchester-on-Thames.

Martin Roberts, of Stone Close, Botley, Oxford, writes: “On the right is the post office, now sadly closed, and on the left is the George Hotel, notable for the preserved coach on the forecourt.

“The tanker truck was registered in Oxford in 1968-9 but to judge by its woebegone appearance, the photograph was taken some years later, perhaps in the mid-1970s.

“Before long, Dorchester would have an excellent bypass, but the High Street remains something of a bottleneck.

“Incidentally, the George Hotel was used for strategy meetings by members of the Competitions Department of BMC at Abingdon during the great days of rallying. On the third Thursday evening of every month, a group of classic car enthusiasts meets there, bringing a wide variety of classic cars of all ages and types.”

Lucy Tappin recalled seeing the street scene every time she went for a drink.

She writes: “I was a regular at the Fleur de Lys pub in Dorchester and walked past this view every time I visited the pub. On the way home, though, I had had a few beverages!”

Nick Wilcock recognised the building with the black and white frontage as Weavers Cottage. “The photograph was taken before the A4074 bypass opened in November 1982.”

My thanks to other readers who wrote in identifying the location.

• Memory Lane this week