MARGARET Dexter has fond memories of shopping at Cape’s, the popular Oxford store which served generations of families.

She particularly remembers a sale in 1959 when she came away with bags full of baby clothes.

She writes: “I was expecting my first baby and of course, we didn’t know what sex it would be, so I was looking for clothes, nappies or anything for a baby.

“Cape’s really did sell everything, from clothes for ladies and gents as well as children, bed linen, hats, shoes and even furniture.

“I can honestly say I have never been to a better sale in all the years since – and that is quite a lot of years.

“I bought tiny vests, pants, pramsuits and dresses. I had a boy so put poppers on the skirts to make them into rompers and as I had a little girl five years later, they came in handy for her as well.

“I remember the vests were about ls 3d (6p) and dresses about 2s 6d (12½p), really pretty ones too. Can you imagine now? I also bought nappies, small sheets, towels, the lot, even a baby bath which I still have.”

Mrs Dexter’s only complaint about the St Ebbe’s store was the floor walker, who would pounce on shoppers the moment they stepped through the door to ask what department they needed.

“I always knew exactly where I was heading so I used to avoid him. Talk about Are you being Served?.”

Another shop she remembers was SPQR (Small Profit Quick Return), opposite Cape’s.

She recalls: “It was very small and rather dark and you went down a step, I think. There was a bird in a cage and as you entered, it sang. I expect it was mechanical and you had to insert a penny to start it.

“The shop also sold corsets, bloomers, things called combs [undergarment that covered body and legs] and thick stockings etc as did Cape’s. I expect my mother bought that kind of underwear.”

Mrs Dexter, who lives in Harwell, also recalls Chanels at Carfax, on the corner of High Street and St Aldate’s.

“It was owned by two sisters, the Miss Wyatts, and also catered for the mature woman. When they retired and the shop was sold, Oxford had a shock!

“When the blinds went up, the front had a glass floor – I think it was a mirror.

“I remember seeing a beautiful dress, probably a Horrocks sun dress, with wide gathered skirt and possibly off the shoulder. I can almost see it still! It was very expensive.”

Any memories of these and other old Oxford shops to share? Write and let me know.

Memory Lane - limit number to how many stories there are this week Memory Lane this week