IT MIGHT have been wartime, but villagers were determined not to be downhearted.

The small community of South Hinksey, near Oxford, put on a pageant to keep their spirits up.

It appears to have been a lavish affair, a remarkable achievement by a village with a population of just a few hundred.

The photograph on the right was taken on the steps of the village hall during the pageant on Whit Monday 1941. The violinist was called ‘Fiddler’ Brookes, who played in an orchestra at the New Theatre in George Street, Oxford.

The boy is Tony Allsworth, who appeared in the pageant as a page boy. He was born in South Hinksey and still lives in the village. The girl is thought to be Brenda Ward.

A report of the event in our sister paper, The Oxford Times, mentions four members of the Allsworth family – Tony, his mother Florence, who appeared as the Lady of the Manor, brother John, who played a rat, and sister Pearl, one of the dancers.

It read: “A pageant procession was held at South Hinksey on Whit Monday and was followed by folk dancing and songs in the street.

“Among the historical personages represented were Archbishop John Piers (A Gibbons) with his page (R Williamson), Jenny Bunting (Mrs Page) and the elves (David Parslow and Terrence Browne), the Lady of the Manor (Mrs Allsworth) with her children (Brenda Ward and Beryl Beesley) attended by their page (T Allsworth), Old Gran’fer (Lionel Keen), the Farmer’s Boy (R Chandler) and the Rat (J Allsworth).

“The procession was led by Britannia (M Walton) and her standard bearer (T Gibbons) and pages (M Shorter and L Hulbert).

“The dancers – Rita Bowler, J Williamson, Joy Keen, P Strong, B Hulbert, P Allsworth, R Strong and Eva Strong – brought up the rear.

“A collection for the village hall fund raised £1 3s 3d. The pageant was organised by Mrs W Russell.”

Tony Allsworth, who sent in the picture, tells me: “I remember there was a procession through the village and a number of stalls in the field behind the village hall.

“I believe the girl in the picture was called Brenda Ward and she lived at New Hinksey. I have often wondered what became of her.”

Can anyone else remember the pageant and does anyone know what happened to Brenda Ward?