LARGE crowds turned out to watch cyclists battle it out in races around the streets of Cowley.

Professional riders from many parts of Southern England took part in the event, which was sponsored and started by famous Oxford boxer Percy Lewis.

We were reminded of the two races in May 1967 by Andrew Hack, who has sent in three pictures taken by his late father, Bill.

The circular 1.1-mile went round Between Towns Road to Crowell Road, Bartholomew Road and Barns Road.

The main race, 30 laps covering 33 miles, was called the Percy Lewis Grand Prix. The other race was over 20 laps.

The Oxford Mail reported: “The 20-lap event started with a fierce sprint as soon as Percy Lewis dropped the flag to start the race.

“The two Oxford University riders, J Oates and C Beach, were soon in arrears and the only other local rider, Brian Miller, of Woodstock, was out with gear trouble.

“The Brown Brothers, Dennis and David, from Portsmouth, set a fast pace and strung the field out, but David was unlucky to overshoot a corner and crashed heavily, leaving his brother in front on his own.

“Dave Burnell, of Hemel Hempstead, then went into the lead, but Brown fought back to rejoin Burnell and contest a finish in which Burnell outsprinted Brown by two seconds.”

The Grand Prix was even more exciting, with the lead changing constantly as riders hurtled around the course at 25mph.

Mark Carritt and Bill Bailey, of Oxford University, and the Oxford City pair, Mick Wheat and Mick Cleaver, were prominent in the early stages, but Brian Dacey (De Laune Cycling Club, London) soon built up an unassailable lead.

The Mail reported: “The desperately-chasing bunch realised that their only chance of winning was if Dacey punctured or fell off.”

Dacey, at one time 29 seconds ahead, sprinted down the final straight to finish 17 seconds ahead of the field.

Prizes were presented to the winners by Miss Cowley Centre, Kim Sayer.

Mr Hack, who lives in Reading, writes: “My father took the pictures in Between Towns Road opposite the Co-op looking towards the junction with Barns Road.

“He and my mother Joyce lived in Barns Road and I was born and spent my first 28 years living there. Percy Lewis ran a betting shop in Between Towns Road.

“I think those racing on this day included Hugh Porter, a top professional cyclist at the time.

“It would be interesting if anyone else has memories of this event at Cowley.”