CAN you spot the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in this 1970s photograph?

It may take some time, given the crush, but the Royal visitors are in front of the tall policeman wearing the traditional helmet in the centre.

The picture of the walkabout was taken in Bonn Square, Oxford, during a day-long visit to the city in March 1976.

During a previous visit in 1968, the Queen had been shown a model of what the St Ebbe’s redevelopment, and particularly the new Westgate shopping centre, would look like.

Eight years later, she was able to see the completed centre.

The Oxford Mail reported: “The bells of St Ebbe’s Church rang out as the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrived in Oxford today.

“The area around Westgate was lined with thousands of people waving Union flags and a loud cheer went up from Pennyfarthing Place as the Royal car pulled up and the Royal couple stepped out.

“They were given a guided tour of the shopping centre, pausing to talk to shoppers and children from South Oxford Middle School.”

The Queen then performed the official opening of Oxfordshire County Council’s £1.5m building at the corner of New Road and Castle Street.

During a tour of the offices, the Duke, introduced to a staff member responsible for collecting money, was overheard to make one of his famous quips.

“I see, you grind the faces of the poor in the dust – and the rich as well,” he told him. Both of them laughed.

Afterwards, the Queen and the Duke had lunch, cooked and served by students at Oxford College of Further Education.

In the afternoon, the Queen opened a new block of flats at Jesus College and the day ended with visits to the Radcliffe Science Library and New College, where the college choir sang music performed when Queen Elizabeth I visited the college.

l Do you recognise yourself or anyone else in the picture above? Write and let me know.