A NEW mother, who needed three pints of blood after the surprise eight-minute birth of her son on the bathroom floor, has urged others to give the gift of life.

Raychel Pomroy has a fear of needles and said she would rather go through labour again than donate blood – but now understands how vital the voluntary service is.

The 34-year-old mother-of-two was a day away from her due date when baby Max, now four months old, arrived suddenly during the early hours of the morning in June.

Her policeman husband, Darren, had enough time to call 999 and unlock the front door of their Bloxham home, before she delivered the 7lb 7oz infant herself – while her 22-month-old daughter Isla slept in her bedroom.

Mrs Pomroy, a holistic therapist and hairdresser, said: “I’d wanted a home birth, but decided against it because Darren thought we should be in a hospital.

“I just woke up and wanted to go to the loo, and got back into bed. But I needed the loo again, and that’s when I felt some movement.

“I told Darren he’d better ring the maternity unit, but no one answered because they were having an extremely busy night.

“By that time I could feel the baby coming and told Darren to ring for an ambulance.

“I put some towels on the floor in the bathroom, squatted down holding on to the bath, and tried to breath deeply to stop feeling shocked.

“Our phone isn’t cordless so Darren couldn’t be with me while the 999 staff talked to him and gave him advice – so I delivered Max myself.

“I just lifted him up on to my belly and turned myself around, telling Darren that he had a son. It was amazing and I had no pain.”

By the time the paramedics arrived, Mrs Pomroy had fallen unconscious after losing so much blood.

At Banbury’s Horton Hospital she haemorrhaged and was given three pints of blood, before being allowed home two days later.

Because Mrs Pomroy received a transfusion she cannot join the Oxford Mail’s campaign to enlist hundreds of new blood donors.

But she said: “It’s wonderful people donated the blood that I received. If I could give blood, I would, even though I’m so squeamish. I’d rather give birth because I’m so frightened of needles."