THE Oxford Mail’s campaign to sign up new blood donors has taken an artistic bent.

Staff at the New Theatre, in George Street, the North Wall Arts Centre in South Parade and at Oxford Inspires have all promised to donate blood.

Oxford Inspires chief executive Sarah Maxfield, 47, said: “I have never given blood before.

“I thought this was an opportunity to do something, to give something back, which actually seemed quite easy.

“A friend of mine rang me up and suggested we did it together and I thought ‘why not’.”

She said her mother was currently in hospital having an operation on her knee – and could well require blood as part of her treatment.

The Oxford Mail has joined forces with the National Blood Service to try to recruit 1,000 new blood donors ahead of winter when blood stocks traditionally dip due to seasonal illnesses.

Seven members of staff at the New Theatre have signed up, including general manager Jamie Baskeyfield.

Mr Baskeyfield, 40, from Cholsey, used to give blood when he worked at the Hammersmith Apollo in London, but got out of the habit when he started at the New Theatre three years ago.

He said: “I think it is important to sign up because it is something everyone can do to help save lives.”

Regular donor, marketing manager Sue Evans, will be making her 30th donation at her next visit – and has been drumming up support among staff.

Among those she has convinced is press officer Diana Hackett.

She said: “It’s one of those things I have been meaning to do for a very long time so this is the perfect opportunity to get on with it – no more excuses.

“My cousin had terrible rheumatoid arthritis when she was little and I know lots of blood donations helped save her life.”

Cath Nightingale and Paula Clark, who are responsible for marketing at the North Wall, have also joined the campaign.

Ms Nightingale, 59, from Summertown, used to give blood “many moons ago”.

She said: “Something like this campaign is good because it gives you a kick up the backside to do it again and get back into the cycle.”

She will be joined by first time donor Ms Clark, 26, from Forest Hill, who said: “I think it’s a really good campaign – and I think it will do a lot of good.”