THESE are the latest people to sign up to save lives by giving blood.

For the past four weeks, the Oxford Mail has been working with the National Blood Service to get 1,000 new donors signed up to donate a pint of the red stuff.

We have enlisted the support of dignitaries including Oxford Lord Mayor Mary Clarkson, the High Sheriff of Oxfordshire Richard Dick, and the Deputy Lieutenant of Oxfordshire, Paul Bradstock.

And along the way, dozens of our readers have been moved by the stories of people like parachutist Sgt Richard Cross, whose life was saved after he needed 22 units of blood following an accident, or Blackbird Leys teenager Jake Spicer, who required regular transfusions for his battle against a rare form of bone cancer before his life was tragically cut short in July.

Several members of the Oxford Mail team have also decided to roll up their sleeves and contribute to the campaign.

They include first-time donors reporters Thom Airs and Emily Allen, both 25.

Mr Airs, from East Oxford, said: “I’ve always thought giving blood was something I should do, but I admit it was one of those things I’d put off and forget about.

“This appeal has made it easy to sign up and get on with it.

“You never know when you, or someone you know, might need blood, which is enough of an incentive for me.”

Miss Allen, from Blewbury, said: “Giving blood has been a New Year’s resolution for about five years and I have failed every time to organise it, so there is no excuse any more.

“I am determined to get round to it this year although the thought of the needle makes me want to run!”

Oxford Mail deputy editor Sara Taylor said: “After seeing so many people signing up as a result of our campaign, we just had to do our bit.

“Every drop counts and we’ve been inspired by the stories that we’ve published over the last few weeks.”

At the Pegasus Theatre, in East Oxford, head of marketing Gill Jaggers has signed up not just 10 members of staff, but also eight of the building team working on a refurbishment of the theatre.

Ms Jaggers, who last donated blood several years ago, said: “I really ought to be doing it. I think if it’s possible for you to do it, you should.”

Fundraising assistant Kathryn Oddie, 32, admitted she had been lazy about not giving blood. She said: “It is really important because if I was in the situation where I needed blood, I would like to know there were people there donating it.”

Four members of staff at the Woodlands Pharmacy, in Botley, Oxford, have signed up, including owner Pupinder Singh Ghatora.

He said: “If you are fit and healthy and able to spare a few minutes, you need to make the effort to help your fellow humans.

“My brother in law had leukaemia so I have personal reasons to support it.”

Staff at Oxford’s only five-star hotel, The Randolph in Beaumont Street, have also signed up to become donors.