WHEN parachute instructor Sgt Richard Cross plummeted to the ground in an horrific accident it took a team of doctors, nurses and surgeons to save his life.

But alongside the efforts of those highly-skilled professionals was the contribution of 22 anonymous strangers – without whose help, he would not have survived.

Sgt Cross, 34, from Carterton, was given 22 life-saving units of blood after the accident at Eastbourne’s annual airshow on August 19, 2007.

The adult human body contains seven to eight pints of blood.

A veteran of hundreds of parachute jumps, the accident left him critically injured after he hit the ground at 40mph.

Backing the Oxford Mail’s campaign to sign up 1,000 blood donors, Sgt Cross called on people to give a pint of the red stuff. He said: “It’s quite simple really, it saved my life.

“At the time of my injury, my blood was not clotting so they had to pour more and more into me – without it, I would have died.”

Sgt Cross, who will not now be eligible to be a blood donor as the National Blood Service has strict rules which forbid donations from people who have received blood transfusions, said several members of his family had given blood since his accident.

He said: “I think it does hammer home how important it is, and my family has tried to pay that debt back by donating blood themselves.

“It is a strange thought that all my blood would have been someone else’s, in fact several different people’s, and it is amazing to think that so many people have contributed to saving my life. They are the unsung heroes, along with all the medical staff that treated me throughout my ordeal.”

Sgt Cross’s injuries included breaking both his legs and arms, his pelvis, cheekbones, skull and left foot.

The operation which required the bulk of the blood donation was a repair to a ruptured artery in his abdomen.

Sgt Cross said: “For a fairly small amount of time out of someone’s day, giving blood is the difference between life and death.

“It not only changes one person’s life but also the lives of the family of the individual who needs the blood.

“I am indebted to those 22 people forever – words cannot really say how grateful I am.

“Giving blood makes a massive difference and changes – and saves – lives.”

If you have a story about giving or receiving blood call Fran Bardsley on 01865 425427 or email her at fbardsley@oxfordmail.co.uk