OUR campaign to recruit new blood donors gained more momentum after we took to the streets to sign people up.

The Oxford Mail has teamed up with the National Blood Service to encourage 1,000 new blood donors to give the gift of life before winter hits, and people become too busy or ill with seasonal illnesses to donate.

Another predicted outbreak of swine flu has also put the service on red alert and highlighted the need for more donors.

One unit of blood, which measures just under a pint, has the potential to save up to three lives because it can be broken down into components which can each be used in different operations and procedures.

As part of the drive to recruit more donors, we visited Templars Square shopping centre in Cowley to drum up support.

Tanya Hutchinson, 31, of Samphire Road, in Blackbird Leys, was one of the first to sign up.

The mother-of-one, who is expecting her second child in weeks, said: “I can’t give blood at the moment because I am pregnant, but it is something I have thought of before.

“I think my sister-in-law needed a transfusion when she gave birth.”

She also encouraged her mother, Dawn, brother Stephen and partner Justin Sylvester to join.

Also signing up was Ian Magee, 46, of Northway in Oxford.

He said: “It’s something I’ve often thought about doing and I knew it was a good thing to do, so why not.”

Despite his fear of needles, Peter Gent, also lent his hand to our campaign.

The chairman of the 99p Store chain was at Templars Square for the launch of the company’s new shop where Woolworths used to be.

He said: “I think it sounds like an excellent campaign.

“I am completely terrified of needles and have been for as long as I can remember, but I am still happy to sign up.”

Have you got a story about blood? Call reporter Amanda Williams on 01865 425426 or email her at awilliams@oxfordmail.co.uk