A SENIOR police officer has backed the Oxford Mail’s campaign to sign up 1,000 new blood donors and potentially save 3,000 lives.

We have teamed up with the National Blood Service to launch our Gift of Life Appeal to get as many people as possible to become a donor before winter hits.

Donations tend to dip in winter because people become ill or too busy to give blood.

Each unit of blood, which measures just under a pint, has the potential to save up to three lives because it can be divided into three separate components, red cells, platelets, and plasma – each of which is used for life saving operations or procedures.

Chief Inspector Cecilia Agger, Oxford’s deputy commander, has been donating blood for more than 20 years and is soon to make her 100th donation.

Ms Agger, 40, who is also a registered organ and bone marrow donor, said she started giving blood when she was 18.

She added: “I saw it advertised one day and realised I might need it myself one day. And I have been donating since then.

“My father-in-law also recently needed a transfusion when he needed a kidney transplant, so I know how important it is.”

Ch Insp Agger said she gave blood as often as she could by making an appointment with the blood service. She is due to give her 100th unit on October 20.

She has called on readers to get behind the Oxford Mail campaign.

“If people are fit and healthy enough they should be prepared to give blood.

“You just don’t know when you’re going to need it.

She added: “It doesn’t take any time at all if you book an appointment, and one of the best things about it is you can drink tea and eat as many biscuits as you like without feeling guilty!”

When donors arrive at a session, they are asked to fill in a health check form and, if they are giving blood for the first time, they are asked a number of questions that they can answer in confidence.

A drop of blood is taken, so the team can check haemoglobin levels and ensure that giving blood will not make the donor anaemic.

After the session, donors are taken into a recovery area to build their strength back up.

If you have a story about giving or receiving blood, call Amanda Williams on 01865 425426 or email her