A WOMAN who onlydiscovered she had a blood disorder when she tried to become a donor, has backed the Oxford Mail’s campaign to get more people to give blood.

Eileen Naughton, of Wessex Road, Didcot, first tried to give blood three years ago when a work colleague was struck down with cancer.

She wanted to do something as a gesture for her friend, but was told her own red blood cell count was dangerously low – and was taken straight to hospital herself.

Miss Naughton, who works at Focus DIY, in Didcot, said: “It was quite a shock as the only reason I found out was because I had tried to give blood myself.

“They took me straight to hospital.

“I had six transfusions last year and I have had two this year.”

The 27-year-old now has regular transfusions to combat her anaemia.

And, instead of giving blood, she now runs marathons to raise money for Children with Leukaemia.

She is also backing the Oxford Mail’s Gift of Life campaign.

According to the National Blood Service, the number of people who give blood dips during the winter months because of seasonal illnesses. Donor rates are also at risk of being lower than usual because of a predicted second outbreak of swine flu.So the Oxford Mail has teamed up with the service to try and get 1,000 new donors to give blood before winter hits.

Miss Naughton said she thought the campaign was a great idea.

She said: “I would love to give blood but I can’t.

“I started raising money for Children with Leukaemia because it helps those suffering from a cancer of the blood.

“Now I know I have got problems with my blood, I felt like I wanted to do something to help.

“I think the Gift of Life Appeal is a fantastic campaign.

“People don’t realise how much good they are doing when they are giving blood. “It may be only a pint but it can completely change people’s lives.

“I feel wonderful now.

“I am always trying to get people to sign up and donate – including my family, and people from work, so I would urge everyone to get behind the appeal.”