Seasoned donor Bill Russell is on first-name terms with staff at the John Radcliffe Hospital’s blood centre because he’s made so many visits.

Mr Russell, 55, from Kennington, was inspired to give blood by his daughter Louise five years ago and now regularly donates platelets at the centre.

He is now calling on Oxford Mail readers to join him in our campaign appealing for blood and platelet donors.

Platelets are tiny fragments of cells made in the bone marrow and released into the blood stream, essential to stop bleeding and bruising.

If a blood vessel is damaged, platelets ‘glue’ together at the site of the damage to form a plug.

But those in receipt of bone marrow transplants (people with leukaemia and other forms of cancer), often have insufficient platelets after treatment and rely on regular transfusions.

Mr Russell said: “I started by giving whole blood. Then I read about platelet donation, found out if I was suitable and have been donating ever since.

“There is a slight tingling sensation, but other than that, I would say there is no pain at all.”

Platelets are collected using a cell separator machine, which takes the blood and spins it until it separates into red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma.

Healthy platelets and plasma, (which show as dark yellow) are collected in a bag, while the rest of the blood, including red cells, are returned to the donor.

A single donation of platelets can help up to three adults or 12 children, but as they only last a few days, the National Blood Service is constantly on the lookout for more donors.

Mr Russell has given blood and platelets more than 100 times in the past five years. He is backing the Oxford Mail’s Gift of Life campaign to sign up 1,000 new donors, and would encourage more people to go to the Blood Centre at the John Radcliffe Hospital.

He added: “We have a very special relationship. In fact, I am on first-name terms with practically every member of staff.”

To become a platelet donor and help save lives, sign up to our campaign by dowloading the pdf and filling it in.

Who can give platelets Not everyone who is a blood donor can give platelets, and there tend to be more men than women who fit the bill to donate.

In order to be eligible, a person needs to have given blood without any problems such as fainting or bruising and have a higher-than-average platelet count of their own.

Only those over 18 can give platelets and there is an upper limit of 60 for new platelet donors, although existing donors may continue to the age of 65.

Those taking aspirin or any of the anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen cannot donate, as these drugs stop the platelets working properly.