Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Toaster sparks serious house fire
A toaster sparked a house fire which took 50 firefighters more than three hours to extinguish.
Firefighters were called just after 1pm yesterday to reports of a cooker fire in a house in Lyneham, near Chipping Norton.
The blaze spread to the first floor and firefighters were forced to create holes in the roof to tackle the fire.
Eight fire engines and about 50 firefighters were sent to bring the fire under control.
Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue, Thames Valley Police , South Central Ambulance Service and Scottish & Southern Electric also helped Oxfordshire firefighters manage the incident.
The fire was finally extinguished by 4pm.
Incident Commander, Group Manager Jason Crapper, said: "The fire is believed to have started in a toaster and was discovered by the occupier of the house who was alerted by a smoke alarm.
“The occupier did attempt to tackle the fire without success and was fortunate not to have been injured.”
Comments are closed on this article.