Sides draw battlelines in Oxford estate fight

Georgina Gibbs

Veronica Hurst

Andrew Smith MP

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

BATTLELINES are being drawn in the fight to influence plans for Oxford’s biggest new estate for a generation.

Views for and against 1,000 homes near Barton will be heard by a government appointed inspector at a five- day public hearing in July.

Oxford City Council wants to build about 1,000 new homes on land to the west of Barton to help solve the city’s housing problem.

And now the Barton Area Action Plan has been submitted to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for approval.

During a six-week consultation earlier this year, 105 different groups or individuals made their views known to the city council.

Veronica Hurst, of the Friends of Old Headington, said the group was concerned about the impact of the development on the area.

She said: “We have applied to speak to the inspector and we very much hope to do so.

“We are supportive of the development as it will provide much-needed housing, but we are concerned about the scale of the proposed development.

Other residents are concerned about the construction of a link road for buses and emergency vehicles between the development and the Northway estate.

Sietkse Boeles, of the local branch of the Campaign to Protect Rural England, said she was concerned about the loss of open space. She said: “We are opposed to the proposed development of Barton Nature Park.”

Under the plans, the ring road will be turned into a boulevard with homes facing the A40. A link road across the A40 between Barton and Northway – to be used by buses and emergency vehicles – has caused concern.

Georgina Gibbs, who lives in Saxon Way, Northway, said: “There are huge concerns about opening up that entrance on to the A40.

“It will bring huge amounts of pollution and noise into a quiet area. There must be an alternative.”

Oxford East MP Andrew Smith said: “We need to make sure that the development works for the existing Barton community. It’s very important that the views of Barton residents are listened to.”

Planning inspector Shelagh Bussey will be holding the public hearing at the Town Hall in St Aldate’s from Monday, July 16, until July 20.

A pre-hearing meeting will also be held at the Town Hall on Thursday, June 7, at 1.30pm when Ms Bussey will set out how she intends to run the hearings and the main areas it will focus on.

City councillor Colin Cook, the board member for city development, said: “At the end of this, the planning inspector will take into account both our views and the views of people in the locality. It is clear not everyone is going to be happy but we certainly hope that what will go forward will be for the benefit of the majority.”

City council spokeswoman Louisa Dean said: “The most recent consultation was asking about the details within the site such as what kind of access and what mix of housing types there should be.

“The majority of the comments were from people making suggestions as to how we could improve the plans for the development at Barton, rather than being objections to the development.”

Only those who responded to the consultation and said in their response that they would like to speak at the public hearing may do so. For more details about the plans, go to the city council’s website oxford.gov.uk

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:44am Tue 15 May 12

gymrat34 says...

The only issue I have with this new 'estate' is the new builds themselves. They need to be decent size houses with off road parking and not more flats with poor parking.
The only issue I have with this new 'estate' is the new builds themselves. They need to be decent size houses with off road parking and not more flats with poor parking. gymrat34
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Tue 15 May 12

Major Oxford says...

thanks for sharing that
thanks for sharing that Major Oxford
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Tue 15 May 12

Simon33 says...

Oxford East MP Andrew Smith said: “We need to make sure that the development works for the existing Barton community. It’s very important that the views of Barton residents are listened to.”

Not at all clear that anyone in this piece is actually from Barton itself!
Oxford East MP Andrew Smith said: “We need to make sure that the development works for the existing Barton community. It’s very important that the views of Barton residents are listened to.” Not at all clear that anyone in this piece is actually from Barton itself! Simon33
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Tue 15 May 12

famalam says...

It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city.
It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city. famalam
  • Score: 0

3:28pm Tue 15 May 12

Lady Penelopee says...

famalam wrote:
It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city.
Are you proposing to build a sky scraper with flats to fit 1000 homes in Jericho instead?

I think we should copy the German and French method, building blocks of flats with huge underground car parks, giving each flat 2 underground garages, plus space for visitors.
[quote][p][bold]famalam[/bold] wrote: It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city.[/p][/quote]Are you proposing to build a sky scraper with flats to fit 1000 homes in Jericho instead? I think we should copy the German and French method, building blocks of flats with huge underground car parks, giving each flat 2 underground garages, plus space for visitors. Lady Penelopee
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Tue 15 May 12

Abartonresident says...

I have been to all the meetings from the outset, along with many others, and lodged our concerns. I believe not one of these have been taken into account in the final plan to go to the Inspector. I don't object to the development, I object to creating a crossroads at Fettiplace Road, or indeed any vehicular access from/to Barton.With the creation of up to 1200 homes, just think how many more cars there are going to be tearing across this nice long road. They intend to build right to the edge of the Barton Village Road, taking the children's play-park, the football club and shifting them elsewhere. These they say form a physical barrier between the old and the new estate. Well that's the way we like it. Us that live in homes on the edge of the estate will then be in the middle of a massive estate. Keep the two separate.
I have been to all the meetings from the outset, along with many others, and lodged our concerns. I believe not one of these have been taken into account in the final plan to go to the Inspector. I don't object to the development, I object to creating a crossroads at Fettiplace Road, or indeed any vehicular access from/to Barton.With the creation of up to 1200 homes, just think how many more cars there are going to be tearing across this nice long road. They intend to build right to the edge of the Barton Village Road, taking the children's play-park, the football club and shifting them elsewhere. These they say form a physical barrier between the old and the new estate. Well that's the way we like it. Us that live in homes on the edge of the estate will then be in the middle of a massive estate. Keep the two separate. Abartonresident
  • Score: 0

9:29am Wed 16 May 12

Cathena says...

Listen to the Barton people.
Listen to the Barton people. Cathena
  • Score: 0

5:13pm Wed 16 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

Lady Penelopee wrote:
famalam wrote:
It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city.
Are you proposing to build a sky scraper with flats to fit 1000 homes in Jericho instead?

I think we should copy the German and French method, building blocks of flats with huge underground car parks, giving each flat 2 underground garages, plus space for visitors.
That would be a great thing, then all of the locals forced out by the interlopers that pushed up prices beyond 90% of people budgets would be able to return home, and hopefully Jericho would return to the community it historically was, instead of the soul less place that it has become.
[quote][p][bold]Lady Penelopee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]famalam[/bold] wrote: It's great that more social housing (I assume it's social housing) is being built in Oxford. It seems like it will happen by Barton now. What I really hate though is the fact that all social housing is built in roughly east/south-east oxford. It's like moving all the poor people out of the centre into their own areas so the oxford middle-classes don't have to see them, and their kids don't have to go to school with them, etc... grim. What about more social housing in Jericho to go some way towards reversing gentrification there and help retain the remnants of community? Oxford's big and I think it would be healthy if the inequality wasn't split on such obvious geographical lines within the city.[/p][/quote]Are you proposing to build a sky scraper with flats to fit 1000 homes in Jericho instead? I think we should copy the German and French method, building blocks of flats with huge underground car parks, giving each flat 2 underground garages, plus space for visitors.[/p][/quote]That would be a great thing, then all of the locals forced out by the interlopers that pushed up prices beyond 90% of people budgets would be able to return home, and hopefully Jericho would return to the community it historically was, instead of the soul less place that it has become. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree