'Potholed roads are in a Third World state'

'Potholed roads are in a Third World state'

'Potholed roads are in a Third World state'

'Potholed roads are in a Third World state'

'Potholed roads are in a Third World state'

Eric Batts

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

Residents have compared a road leading into their village which was dug up by Thames Water to one in the Third World.

The water company implemented a rolling road closure of North Hinksey Lane so it could carry out a major flood alleviation scheme.

But residents say the road has been left riddled with potholes.

North Hinksey Lane resident Chris Sugden said: “It is worse than roads I have been on in many African countries. Everyone agreed the work had to be done but they have not programmed the resurfacing in quickly.

“It is a quagmire because the rain is washing the soil into the road and there are large potholes.

“It does our suspension no good.

“Thames Water was unfortunate the weather turned against them but it is an example of bad planning.”

Eric Batts, district councillor for North Hinksey and Wytham, said: “I have spoken to the contractors about this and the heavy rain has delayed the completion of the work.”

From February the 100 residents of North Hinksey were not able to access their village between 8am and 5pm every day while the £7m scheme was carried out.

The work started at Oxford Rugby Club and has been moving towards West Way in Botley.

At the moment Thames Water are working on the North Hinksey Lane service road and work is expected to last for another couple of weeks.

Thames Water spokesman Amy Weiser said: “The work is being done to prevent the risk of flooding to residents in the area.

“We are trying to work in a way which minimises disruption to the local residents and as we move along the road we want to open it up as quickly as possible but this has meant putting in a temporary road surface as we move along.

“This is not the final road surface. We will work there until mid-May and will be putting in a Tarmac surface.

“We want to apologise for the short-term disruption but hope people understand it is for a long- term benefit.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:38pm Mon 7 May 12

grumpyofwhitecross says...

You just can't please some people ! never satisfied.
You just can't please some people ! never satisfied. grumpyofwhitecross
  • Score: 0

10:00pm Mon 7 May 12

AlexF says...

It's the same across various parts of Oxford, the roads are pretty much in the worst state, even worse than your average dirt track. It'd be nice if the council(s) actually did what they were paid to do.
It's the same across various parts of Oxford, the roads are pretty much in the worst state, even worse than your average dirt track. It'd be nice if the council(s) actually did what they were paid to do. AlexF
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Mon 7 May 12

BigAlBiker says...

The main road through Kennington is simply the worst road in the county, for two winters this has suffered and now the residents are paying for it with damage to cars.

Disgusting bearing in mind what road users pay in tax as well.
The main road through Kennington is simply the worst road in the county, for two winters this has suffered and now the residents are paying for it with damage to cars. Disgusting bearing in mind what road users pay in tax as well. BigAlBiker
  • Score: 0

7:44am Tue 8 May 12

davyboy says...

also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.
also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly. davyboy
  • Score: 0

8:07am Tue 8 May 12

## Nonny Mouse ## says...

The pictures used are OTT and unfair in my opinion. They are of roads in the middle of significant repairs.

Some other roads in the county are horrific though. Like the bloomin safari rally!
The pictures used are OTT and unfair in my opinion. They are of roads in the middle of significant repairs. Some other roads in the county are horrific though. Like the bloomin safari rally! ## Nonny Mouse ##
  • Score: 0

9:56am Tue 8 May 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

Two out of the four images look quite in keeping to me really.

What's the point of a 4x4 working vehicle if you're not going to run it up and down a muddy pot-holed road sometimes - worried about getting it dirty?

The thatched cottage and coach-inn alongside a muddy track seems to fit in well with heritage too.
Two out of the four images look quite in keeping to me really. What's the point of a 4x4 working vehicle if you're not going to run it up and down a muddy pot-holed road sometimes - worried about getting it dirty? The thatched cottage and coach-inn alongside a muddy track seems to fit in well with heritage too. Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: 0

11:14am Tue 8 May 12

eatmygoal says...

Probably because we live in a 3rd world country.
Probably because we live in a 3rd world country. eatmygoal
  • Score: 0

11:18am Tue 8 May 12

Simon33 says...

Went down that road for the first time last week - nothing to report apart from a muddy road.

By the way, 'Third World' went out with the fall of Communism.
Went down that road for the first time last week - nothing to report apart from a muddy road. By the way, 'Third World' went out with the fall of Communism. Simon33
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Tue 8 May 12

JunkMail says...

Try to remember what TW is actually doing there - you wouldn't expect to get up straight away after major surgery, would you? Let them just get on with it.

Nice photo of the 4x4 too, I think the photographer must has a sense of humour knew how the article was going to be written.
Try to remember what TW is actually doing there - you wouldn't expect to get up straight away after major surgery, would you? Let them just get on with it. Nice photo of the 4x4 too, I think the photographer must has a sense of humour knew how the article was going to be written. JunkMail
  • Score: 0

6:48pm Tue 8 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

davyboy wrote:
also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.
No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.
[quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.[/p][/quote]No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG
  • Score: 0

10:26pm Tue 8 May 12

davyboy says...

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG wrote:
davyboy wrote:
also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.
No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.
mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like.
[quote][p][bold]LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.[/p][/quote]No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.[/p][/quote]mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like. davyboy
  • Score: 0

9:07am Wed 9 May 12

SirRichard says...

The state of some roads is truly disgraceful. I'm not a driver myself, but if I was, I'd be demanding a rebate on my council tax...
The state of some roads is truly disgraceful. I'm not a driver myself, but if I was, I'd be demanding a rebate on my council tax... SirRichard
  • Score: 0

11:11am Wed 9 May 12

profgeof2000 says...

I think it looks nice - rather rustic, in keeping with thatched cottages, and even the pub shown. Not for 4 x 4's - would tear it up fast!!
I think it looks nice - rather rustic, in keeping with thatched cottages, and even the pub shown. Not for 4 x 4's - would tear it up fast!! profgeof2000
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Wed 9 May 12

Andrew:Oxford says...

davyboy wrote:
LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG wrote:
davyboy wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.
No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.
mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like.
Probably more an environment agency issue.

I think the saggy bit is where the underground river flows. It joins the Isis behind the Ice Rink.

If you look on line, there is a website where urban explorers follow it down under the city centre.
[quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.[/p][/quote]No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.[/p][/quote]mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like.[/p][/quote]Probably more an environment agency issue. I think the saggy bit is where the underground river flows. It joins the Isis behind the Ice Rink. If you look on line, there is a website where urban explorers follow it down under the city centre. Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Wed 9 May 12

LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG says...

Andrew:Oxford wrote:
davyboy wrote:
LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG wrote:
davyboy wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.
No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.
mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like.
Probably more an environment agency issue.

I think the saggy bit is where the underground river flows. It joins the Isis behind the Ice Rink.

If you look on line, there is a website where urban explorers follow it down under the city centre.
If you have a walk from Carfax the Plain mate, you will see at least 20 patching jobs and more unrepaired parts where the road has failed already.
[quote][p][bold]Andrew:Oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: also the high st in oxford itself. there is a big hole near the top, outside the market, which contractors keep filling with tarmac, but not repairing properly.[/p][/quote]No the High St is perfect. Our new leader Mr Hudspeth gave us a 25 year guarantee live on Radio Oxford during the works, he said that this surface will not need to be touched for 25 years, I know the disruption is bad now but it will be worth it. Maybe a question for a reporter to call and ask him when he takes over. What a waste of another few £million.[/p][/quote]mr hudspeth wants to make a claim on the guarantee then! yes, we were told it would last ages, but, someone has been along and dug it up, and, as usual, has not replaced like for like.[/p][/quote]Probably more an environment agency issue. I think the saggy bit is where the underground river flows. It joins the Isis behind the Ice Rink. If you look on line, there is a website where urban explorers follow it down under the city centre.[/p][/quote]If you have a walk from Carfax the Plain mate, you will see at least 20 patching jobs and more unrepaired parts where the road has failed already. LORD PETER MACVEY 0X2 6EG
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree