A 69-year-old man died while swimming in the sea in Crete, an inquest heard yesterday.
Keith Waite, of Reading Road, Rowstock, near Didcot, had been on holiday with his wife when he died on Saturday, August 16.
Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard how he had tried to help his wife when they were caught by a rip tide but he was taken out to sea himself and died.
Assistant coroner Alison Thompson said Mr Waite, a chartered accountant, had a history of coronary heart disease, which may have contributed to his death.
The inquest was adjourned but no date has been set for a hearing.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
Our top stories
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today