A 69-year-old man died while swimming in the sea in Crete, an inquest heard yesterday.
Keith Waite, of Reading Road, Rowstock, near Didcot, had been on holiday with his wife when he died on Saturday, August 16.
Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard how he had tried to help his wife when they were caught by a rip tide but he was taken out to sea himself and died.
Assistant coroner Alison Thompson said Mr Waite, a chartered accountant, had a history of coronary heart disease, which may have contributed to his death.
The inquest was adjourned but no date has been set for a hearing.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes