A PUB has been given a revamp after being given the worst possible food hygiene rating in a recent inspection.
The Eight Bells in Eaton, between Appleton and Cumnor, was awarded a food hygiene rating of 0 with “urgent improvement necessary” by Vale of White Horse District Council.
Refurbishment has been carried out at the pub since the inspection, and it is due to reopen tonight.
Pub landlord Tommy O’Sullivan said yesterday: “We weren’t doing food at the time of the inspection as we were in negotiations to get a new kitchen.
“We were reported to environmental health and we closed to do a revamp. We’ve done more than the environmental health team has asked us to do – we’ve gone way above what they require.”
He said the pub was due to be inspected again today and he aimed to reopen tonight.
Under the ‘Scores on the Doors’ scheme, organisations are rated from zero – the worst – to five, which is the best.
The pub scored “very bad” in both food hygiene, and safety and structural compliance, categories in last month’s inspection.
A food establishment with a zero rating does not have to close but must make urgent improvements.
A “very bad” rating is awarded for almost total non-compliance with statutory regulations, according to the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
The pub also got a ‘no confidence in management’ rating, which equates to a poor track record of compliance, little or no technical knowledge, little or no appreciation of hazards or quality control and no food safety management system.
The FSA said that this year, only 12 of the 5,400 food establishments in Oxfordshire have been told they need urgent improvements.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech