It’s a last dash to the beach

Ian Giles takes time out from his role as Oxford Castle Unlocked guide Daniel Harris to relax on the beach with Sam Pace, Oxford Castle Quarter operations manager

Ian Giles takes time out from his role as Oxford Castle Unlocked guide Daniel Harris to relax on the beach with Sam Pace, Oxford Castle Quarter operations manager

First published in News

SUMMER is coming to an end but there is still time for a trip to the beach for Oxford residents and visitors.

About 4,500 people have visited the free Oxford Beach since it opened at the Castle Quarter in May.

Umbrellas have been a more frequent sight throughout a damp August but businesses at the castle are hoping for an Indian summer before it closes on Sunday, September 14.

Castle operations manager Sam Pace said: “We had a lovely Indian summer last year, so we extended the time we kept the beach until October because we didn’t want to waste the good weather.

“The last month has been tough but it’s also made for sandcastle building. Even when there’s rain there’s little ones making castles.”

The beach, which has 50 deckchairs as well as buckets and spades, has been used for summer activities such as barbecues, Caribbean parties, live music and an Oxford United educational programme.

Visitors have also been given tours around the castle by a group of guides based on historical characters including prison governor Daniel Harris, who led penal reform in the city.

The 38 tonnes of sand needed to create the beach will now be donated to schools, nurseries and golf courses.

Ms Pace added: “It’s been a fantastic summer – we’ve had some great sunshine and welcomed new visitors to the castle.

“The last one was the first time we did it and it was brought back by popular demand. We’ll almost certainly be having it again next year.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Head ‘fobbed off’ over delayed Windmill Primary School extension

Oxford Mail: Windmill head teacher, Lynn Knapp

7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015

A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Fri 5 Sep 14

Myron Blatz says...

So that's where the 91.4% of voters went on Thursday, instead of to their designated polling station for the Carfax by-election! Mind you, seems odd to call an election in a Ward full of students, whilst they are still all on holiday? Apparently, Labour knew about its former Councillor's desire to step-down llong before May elections, but were afraid of the Green vote from students. Likewise , Laboir apparently knew that its City Councillors for Cowley and Risinghurst were stepping-down well before May, but didn't want to have to fight two Seats in each Ward. So, not really 'cricket' but just plain, simple politics! Wonder how much extra the Cowley, Carfax and Quarry/Risinghurst by-elections have cost the tax-payer each time?
So that's where the 91.4% of voters went on Thursday, instead of to their designated polling station for the Carfax by-election! Mind you, seems odd to call an election in a Ward full of students, whilst they are still all on holiday? Apparently, Labour knew about its former Councillor's desire to step-down llong before May elections, but were afraid of the Green vote from students. Likewise , Laboir apparently knew that its City Councillors for Cowley and Risinghurst were stepping-down well before May, but didn't want to have to fight two Seats in each Ward. So, not really 'cricket' but just plain, simple politics! Wonder how much extra the Cowley, Carfax and Quarry/Risinghurst by-elections have cost the tax-payer each time? Myron Blatz
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree