Police say they are treating the death of a man whose body was found in a van as unexplained.
Chief Inspector Yvette Hitch said there are no indications of violence and they are not treating it as suspicious at this stage.
She said: "Police gained entry to the van and found the body of a deceased male who we estimate to be in his 40s. We are treating it as an unexplained death."
She said a scene watch would be in place for a number of hours.
Police were called to the Burger King car park in Ambassador Avenue, Cowley, at 12.20pm by a member of the public who saw fluid coming from the silver Mercedes van.
It was cordoned off by officers and witnesses described police using crowbars and battering rams to access the van, a silver Mercedes.
The van is thought to have been there for up to a week.
Our reporter on the scene Helen Wright said the whole of the Burger King car park was cordoned off and there were four police cars and a van on the scene.
Officers have smashed through the side door and the window of the van and a tent has been erected around the vehicle.
Two members of the forensics team have just entered the tent.
It is believed a doctor is on the scene and is in the process of identifying the body.
Police are reviewing CCTV footage from the car park to discover how long the body might have been in the van.
More to follow
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes