He may have been quick around the track but it took until he was 84 to get an honorary degree.
But it is only fitting the man who made Iffley Road Sports Ground a record-breaking spot, Sir Roger Bannister, was recognised.
His accomplishments are a great inspiration to the latest graduates at the university. And his words to health and life sciences students held extra poignancy as he has dedicated his life to understand neurological disorders and is himself a Parkinson’s sufferer.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes