He may have been quick around the track but it took until he was 84 to get an honorary degree.
But it is only fitting the man who made Iffley Road Sports Ground a record-breaking spot, Sir Roger Bannister, was recognised.
His accomplishments are a great inspiration to the latest graduates at the university. And his words to health and life sciences students held extra poignancy as he has dedicated his life to understand neurological disorders and is himself a Parkinson’s sufferer.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community