AN “enormous and unsightly” satellite dish needed for a supermarket to sell lottery tickets has sparked complaints from people living nearby.
Liberal Democrat councillor for Headington, Ruth Wilkinson, said she has received eight complaints from residents about the dish on Tesco Express, in London Road.
The dish is located on the wall at the front of the store, which opened in July.
Last month the Oxford Mail reported that the store needed the dish to establish a connection with the National Lottery.
Oxford city councillor Mrs Wilkinson said she had written to the firm after some residents said the dish was too big.
She said: “It would seem that the dish was put up by the Lottery organisation. The Tesco deputy manager is currently trying to establish contact with a representative to discuss whether the dish needs to be so big.”
The dish has also divided opinion on the online Headington and Marston Neighbourhood Forum.
Forum member Charles Young called the dish “enormous and unsightly”. But another member, Rob Leigh, posted: “Unless people walk through Headington with their noses stuck in the air, you wouldn’t know it was there.”
Tesco spokesman Jack Pearson said: “We’ve listened to community feedback and are working to resolve concerns."”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay