Help uncover stories behind 1,800 graves at old hospital

Local councillor and amateur historian David Henwood who is trying to find out more about the 1,800 people buried near the old Littlemore mental hospital

The old Littlemore mental hospital

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Rose Hill, Iffley and Littlemore. Please call me on (01865) 425422

AMATEUR historians investigating bodies buried in unmarked graves at Littlemore have discovered more than 1,800 people were laid to rest at the site.

It has always been known there was a large piece of consecrated land beside the former Littlemore mental hospital,used to bury patients who died there. right up until 1954.

But the scale of the burials was only discovered by residents when plans to build 270 homes on the site were announced by Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust, in conjunction with property and infrastructure business Capita.

Oxford city councillor for Cowley and vice-chairman of Littlemore Parish Council David Henwood is appealing for relatives of the dead to come forward. It is hoped they may have more specific information on where their ancestors are buried.

Mr Henwood discovered a distant relative, Joseph Henwood, was buried there in 1854.

He said: “We know the names of the dead, their ages and when they were buried, but not the locations of the plots. We are talking to relatives and trying to talk to people who have ancestors there to see where they are buried.”

The hospital opened in 1846 and bodies were first buried on the land that year.

It was not until 1882 that the Bishop of Oxford consecrated an acre of ground for burials, and 18 years later another half-acre was consecrated. The last patient was buried at the site in 1954.

Oxfordshire History Centre archivist Hannah Jones said there were a number of reasons why so many people were buried at the site.

She said: “Partly it was a taboo around mental health and partly because a lot of the patients didn’t have living relatives who could come and claim the bodies after death.

“It was built in 1846 as a place for ‘pauper lunatics’, so the people who were there would have been quite poor.

“Their families therefore couldn’t always come to claim them and take them to other graveyards when they died.

“It had to be extended several times, which shows the sheer volume of people who passed through.”

Littlemore History Society member Maggie Wallis has been researching the graves, on part of the site currently used as a garden, since news of development plans for the land were announced.

She said: “I knew there had been a burial ground there for ages but I was very surprised at the number of bodies.

“The hospital got very full, often because the sort of people who came in didn’t get treatment in the community.

“People entered the hospital with all sorts of problems and mental health was not really understood.”

The OUHT which runs the Littlemore Mental Health Centre on part of the site, did not respond to requests to comment.

To contact Mr Henwood, email cllrdhenwood@oxford.gov.uk

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

 

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree