INITIAL work began yesterday on the redevelopment of Frideswide Square.
Workers from Oxfordshire County Council have now removed all parking bays from Becket Street and painted double yellow lines.
More minor alterations to Becket Street and Osney Lane will be made over the course of the next seven days, before work starts next week on widening the junction of Becket Street and Botley Road.
The county council said that work will be carried out off-peak and overnight before the redevelopment of the square itself starts in February.
Council leader Ian Hudspeth donned a hi-viz vest to go and inspect the start of work today.
He said: “Towards the end of the week people will see work being done here. They key to this is preparation.
“People say this work is long overdue and it should improve traffic flow around the junction.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech