I would like to make your readers aware of new rules introduced by the Government to help improve support in school for children with medical conditions, including Type 1 diabetes, epilepsy and asthma.
The new rules have been introduced as a result of the Government’s decision to amend the Children and Families Bill so that schools in England are now legally obliged to provide the best support possible for children with medical conditions.
We campaigned for this change as many children with Type 1 diabetes can struggle to get the extra support they need at school because of their condition, which means they are effectively excluded from taking part in their education.
This is why it is really important that parents and carers in Oxfordshire are aware of these new rules so that their child doesn’t miss out.
Parents in Oxfordshire can also help to spread the word by making sure schools in the area are aware of the changes.
We recognise that some schools may have some concerns about how best to implement these new rules so we have produced free resources for schools and parents, which provide practical tips and information on how to best support children with Type 1 diabetes so that they are able to make the most of their time at school.
You can order your free schools and parent pack and check out our online schools info today by heading to www.diabetes.org.uk/schools.
South East regional manager Diabetes UK
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Today’s letters
- All residents invited to Bonn Week celebrations
- Both United and their fans were magnificent
- Letter: Worried about impact of the rise in red kites
- Letter: Why do we send aid to those suffering famine?
- Letter: Super-council’s on its way whether you like it or not
- Letter: We’re trying to end the schools postcode lottery