Organisers start wheels rolling for 2015 Cowley Road Carnival

Paul Wolf, seen cycling in Cowley Road, is already thinking about next summer’s carnival     Picture: OX69599 Ed Nix

Paul Wolf, seen cycling in Cowley Road, is already thinking about next summer’s carnival Picture: OX69599 Ed Nix Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

THIS year’s Cowley Road Carnival might still be a recent memory but organisers are already preparing for next year’s event.

Tens of thousands descended on East Oxford in July for the annual celebration of the city’s diverse culture.

While many volunteers contribute to its success, it is estimated that about £100,000 is needed to put the carnival on.

This weekend the first in a year-long programme of fundraising events is set to begin.

Supporters will take part in a sponsored cycle from Jackdaw Lane to destinations including Chipping Norton over 20, 50 or 80 miles. Carnival organisers are encouraging keen cyclists to sign up to the Bike Oxford event on Sunday to support the carnival.

Paul Wolf, a trustee of Carnival organiser Cowley Road Works, said: “We will be encouraging our supporters, their staff and the 45,000 members of the community that attended the carnival to get in the saddle to draw in much-needed sponsorship for the carnival.”

Carnival spokesman Sarah Airey added: “Thoughout the course of the year we want to try to get the message out to people who come and enjoy the carnival to participate in making sure the finances stack up.

Oxford Mail:

  • Last year's event

“There are lots of volunteers who help but nonetheless there are costs that are involved in making sure it can happen, such as paying for the clean-up and for the road closure. There will be a full programme of fundraising activities over the next year and the intention will be to have something happening every month to keep the ball rolling.

“As much as anything, holding these events can be good for the community.”

The carnival, launched in 2001, returned to Cowley Road last year after a two-year absence. Last year the city council agreed to provide three years of annual funding at £30,000. In recent years the event has also been sponsored by BMW Mini, at Cowley.

 

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.



Our top stories

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree