A rubbish fire started by a young person playing with a lighter spread to a garage and back of a home.

Firefighters were called to St Luke’s Road, Cowley at about 1.30pm on Saturday .

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was “caused accidentally by a young person playing with a lighter” and police attended to ensure neighbours were out of their homes.

It said: “The fire engines arrived shortly afterwards and knocked down the flames before the fire could take hold and threaten peoples’ homes close by.”

Firefighter Matt Stott from Rewley Road Fire Station, Oxford said: “It’s important for adults to keep lighters and matches and any other type of fire lighting materials away, and out of reach of infants and young children”.