FIREFIGHTERS were called after a hazardous chemical leaked as it was being delivered to a property in Ashbury, near Faringdon earlier today.
Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to the incident just before 9am by the driver who was delivering the heavy duty acidic de-scaler.
Two fire engines from Faringdon and Wantage were sent to the scene with a specialist hazardous materials unit from Rewley Road Fire Station, Oxford.
It is believed the chemical leaked out through its packaging and gave off fumes which affected the delivery driver.
Fire crews identified the chemicals and then put them in a secure container ready for disposal.
One person who was affected by the chemicals was assessed by fire and rescue service and then taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check.
Watch manager Matt Smith said: “Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service have specially trained staff that not only deal with fires and rescues but also deal with hazardous material incidents.
“Our specialist unit has equipment specifically designed to enable staff to detect and identify dangerous substances which enables casualties to be treated quickly and appropriately by medical staff and for us to make the incident safe.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
8:30am Saturday 1st August 2015
DEVELOPERS wanting to transform Cowley’s Templars Square Shopping Centre said they hope their plans will spur more development in the area.
5:13pm Saturday 1st August 2015
A FLASHER exposed himself to a woman in Bury Knowle Park yesterday.
11:41am Saturday 1st August 2015
Fire crews have put out a house fire in Sibford Gower.
9:00am Saturday 1st August 2015
SAVING a man from a burning house was not the first heroic deed by postman Tony Rendell.
8:00am Saturday 1st August 2015
A WOMAN hit a row of taxis in Abingdon town centre yesterday after a “medical episode”.
7:00am Saturday 1st August 2015
A JUDGE spared a convicted drug dealer more time in jail for giving his friend £100,000 of drugs money to buy a house.