FIREFIGHTERS were called after a hazardous chemical leaked as it was being delivered to a property in Ashbury, near Faringdon earlier today.
Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to the incident just before 9am by the driver who was delivering the heavy duty acidic de-scaler.
Two fire engines from Faringdon and Wantage were sent to the scene with a specialist hazardous materials unit from Rewley Road Fire Station, Oxford.
It is believed the chemical leaked out through its packaging and gave off fumes which affected the delivery driver.
Fire crews identified the chemicals and then put them in a secure container ready for disposal.
One person who was affected by the chemicals was assessed by fire and rescue service and then taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check.
Watch manager Matt Smith said: “Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service have specially trained staff that not only deal with fires and rescues but also deal with hazardous material incidents.
“Our specialist unit has equipment specifically designed to enable staff to detect and identify dangerous substances which enables casualties to be treated quickly and appropriately by medical staff and for us to make the incident safe.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit