A PROJECT to equip Oxfordshire with superfast broadband will reach its 10,000th property today.
Residents and businesses in Weston-on-the-Green, near Bicester, will now receive internet speeds of at least 24 megabits per second (mbps) when new underground cables are connected.
It is part of Oxfordshire County Council’s Better Broadband scheme, which aims to get 90 per cent of the county wired up for superfast speeds by the end of next year.
The council is working alongside BT and Government programme Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK).
Work began in December and an extra 65,000 homes and businesses will be targeted in the scheme.
The council’s cabinet member for business and customer services, Nick Carter, said: “With one of the most rural counties in the South, it is vital that this work is done, the benefits of which will be felt by all, whether it be families or businesses, allowing for greater levels of communication and flexibility across the county.”
About 250 homes and firms in Weston-on-the-Green can now get superfast broadband. As part of the scheme, 497km of fibre-optic cabling and 56 broadband cabinets have been installed.
Residents can find out more about the scheme at an event in the village hall from noon until 1.45pm today, with the council’s project team, councillors and BT Openreach engineers.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech