Forklift driver jailed for sex attempt with 14-year-old girl

Oxford Crown Court

Oxford Crown Court

First published in News
Last updated

A FORKLIFT truck driver has been jailed for two years for trying to meet and have sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Kacper Belzek, of Burwell Drive, Witney, was found guilty after a trial on one count of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence between September 21 and October 2 last year.

The 24-year-old was accused of planning to meet the teenage complainant after they exchanged about 800 messages over the internet.

The jury unanimously found him guilty and on Tuesday Judge Patrick Eccles told him prison was the only appropriate sentence.

During a four-day trial Belzek argued he had been angry at the girl for lying about her age and claiming she was 16 when they had met a first time.

It was after that she revealed she was actually 14, the court heard.

Judge Eccles said the offence was made worse by the fact Belzek actually did meet and have sex with the girl before he knew her age, but then tried to arrange another meeting.

Belzek was not prosecuted for having sex with a minor.

Nigel Daley, defending, said his client was guilty of “stupid” behaviour that would never be repeated.

He said: “It appears that at the end he changed his mind and was not going to meet her.

“The disparity of age was not that much when you see the behaviour of the young girl towards him beforehand.

“He has never done anything like it before and your honour can be quite confident he will never do anything like it again.”

Judge Eccles passed a two-year prison sentence and said Belzek would spend 10 years on the sex offenders’ register.

He told the defendant: “During the trial you did not display any understanding of how wrong it is for a grown man like you to try and encourage a young girl to have sexual intercourse with you.”

Belzek will also have to pay a £120 victims’ surcharge.

  • Our top stories

Cuts and rising care demands putting more children at risk

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th June 2015

THE man in charge of the county’s children’s services has warned a surge in cases on the back of Operation Bullfinch and other child abuse scandals is leading to huge pressure on his department.

Update: Tunisia beach massacre victim being treated at Oxford hospital after being flown back to RAF Brize Norton

Oxford Mail:

10:36am Tuesday 30th June 2015

ONE of the victims of the Tunisian beach massacre is being treated at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Mourners pay their respects to much-loved Aown Dogar

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th June 2015

A TEENAGER who was the “life and soul” of his family was given a heartfelt farewell from hundreds of mourners yesterday.

Get the suncream ready as a heatwave hits Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th June 2015

A MINI heatwave will hit Oxfordshire this week, with temperatures set to reach 30C tomorrow.

Police call on charities for help supporting victims

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th June 2015

CHARITIES and voluntary organisations could increasingly help Thames Valley Police tackle crimes such as rape in the future, the force’s new chief constable has said.

Ceremony honours veteran ‘whose colour saved his life’

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 30th June 2015

A BLACK RAF veteran who said his skin colour saved his life in Nazi-occupied Europe will be remembered at a ceremony in Thame today.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree