VIILAGERS are trying to start a co-operative to save a pub in West Hanney, near Wantage.
The Plough, in Church Street, has been put on the market by Punch Taverns for £375,000.
A meeting will be held next month to gauge the level of support.
David Bratley, who is leading the campaign with East Hanney resident Guy Langton, said: “We are desperate to keep the it.
“We are looking to form a co-operative and then buy it. It is being sold as a freehold, so we could put a tenant in to run it. But if we lose it there will be no pub in the village, we will lose out social hub.
“We don’t even have a shop in the village.”
A meeting will take place on Monday, September 8 at 8pm in the village hall.
For more information email email@example.com
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit