VIILAGERS are trying to start a co-operative to save a pub in West Hanney, near Wantage.
The Plough, in Church Street, has been put on the market by Punch Taverns for £375,000.
A meeting will be held next month to gauge the level of support.
David Bratley, who is leading the campaign with East Hanney resident Guy Langton, said: “We are desperate to keep the it.
“We are looking to form a co-operative and then buy it. It is being sold as a freehold, so we could put a tenant in to run it. But if we lose it there will be no pub in the village, we will lose out social hub.
“We don’t even have a shop in the village.”
A meeting will take place on Monday, September 8 at 8pm in the village hall.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech