FIVE-year-old Max Hutchings and his big sister Josie, seven, made their own ‘stained glass window’ and paper clown when they turned a trip to Oxford Central Library into an arts and crafts adventure yesterday.
The pair, who had only gone to the library to borrow some books and videos, got eagerly stuck into the holiday activities on offer.
Josie, from Oxford, said: “I had a good day.
“I liked making my clown, I made it because I like colouring in and I like making things as well.
“I don’t do a lot of that sort of thing at home so it was nice to go to the library and have fun.”
Josie and Max’s grandmother Yvonne Nicoll, who took them to the Westgate Library, said: “We just turned up to borrow some videos and books and got told there were activities on.
“Josie is really into activities and once they were in the door then off they went.
“There was no teacher standing over them and telling them what to do, they were left to their own devices.”
The event was organised by Oxfordshire County Council’s Family Learning Unit to encourage children and their parents or guardians to take part in some fun activities together.
Family Learning tutor Rita Bevan said: “It was successful because the people really engaged with their children and got involved.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit