MULTI-MILLION pound work to redevelop a West Oxfordshire church hall could begin in the next few weeks after a two-year legal wrangle in a religious court.
St John the Baptist Church in Burford has now been granted approval by the Church of England’s consistory court to carry out the £3.5m work at nearby Warwick Hall.
West Oxfordshire District Council granted planning permission in May 2012, but residents and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings were concerned about the removal of two trees, temporary relocation of five gravestones, rebuilding of a gate post and path resurfacing.
They appealed to the consistory court, meaning the building work was automatically unlawful, unless it was granted a “faculty” by the court’s judge, the Chancellor of the Diocese of Oxford.
Church of England spokesman Arun Arora said a “faculty” is permission to amend or dispose of church property, such as making changes to a church building.
The judge, the Rev and Worshipful Alexander McGregor, overruled the automatic judgment on Tuesday last week, saying current facilities are “inadequate.”
Work will now be carried out in the 12th Century St John’s churchyard to allow improved access to the church hall, with a new community facility built.
Rev Richard Coombs, rector of the church, said: “We’re delighted with the judgment – this is the final hurdle in getting permission to build the new community facility. We want to convert our old Victorian church hall into a 21st century community centre. We see this as a tangible way of demonstrating our commitment to the community.”
The church raised money for the development from donations and a loan by the congregation and grants from bodies including the Burford Charity Trustees and Falkland Hall Trust.
Plans include creating a new entrance to the churchyard, refurbishing the current hall and creating a larger second hall.
A consistory court explained
A consistory court hearing is held when a formal objection is made to a church’s application for a faculty
Church of England spokesman Arun Arora said a “faculty” is permission to amend or dispose of church property, like making changes to a church building
A hearing can also be held if a parish wants to sell a valuable or historic item
The court hears evidence on oath and legal argument from both parties’ legal representatives, such as in other courts, or they can represent themselves
About two court hearings are held on average a year in the Diocese of Oxford
Mr Arora said: “In general terms, hearings are not frequently held because if an application for a faculty is straightforward and no-one objects it can be granted on consideration of the papers.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014
A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning.
11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014
A TEENAGER was raped in central Oxford this morning by a man she met in a nightclub.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.
9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014
A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.
Google wipes search results for 20 people's convictions after just one person's 'Right To Be Forgotten' request
8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014
THE convictions of 20 people have been wiped from Google search results because of a single complaint in the latest controversy caused by a controversial European privacy ruling.