A MICROSCOPE scientist from East Hendred will contest Wantage for the Labour Party in next year’s general election.
East Hendred parish councillor Stephen Webb is aiming to oust Conservative Ed Vaizey on May 7.
Mr Webb develops microscopes for understanding cancers at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Didcot.
In a statement he said he was passionate about ensuring people are treated fairly and “have a say”.
While welcoming jobs and affordable housing that come with new developments, Mr Webb pledged to work to ensure that they benefit existing local residents and protect the character of South Oxfordshire’s “beautiful towns, villages and countryside”.
He said: “Many residents feel powerless when their children cannot go to the nearest school, their village becomes a suburb and fuel bills become difficult to pay.”
The scientist said he was keen to ensure local people were able to travel to work, to the doctors and to see friends with less congestion, reliable public transport and upgraded cycle routes.
The UK Independence Party (UKIP) has promoted Wallingford physicist Lee Upcraft, for the Wantage seat which covers Didcot and Faringdon.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community