Oxfordshire’s district councils have been unable to agree on whether a review should take place, over renewed pressure to build more homes from the Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) in March.
The SHMA report said 100,000 extra homes were needed across the county by 2031.
And Oxford’s own target means it must find room for about 20,000 homes outside its own boundaries, because planners are struggling to find space inside them.
In an attempt to allow the city to expand further, the council is pushing for a Green Belt review.
It could put forward land near Grenoble Road for development, where officials want to build a 4,000-home development.
But it has been unable to agree with South Oxfordshire District Council, which is the planning authority for the land.
City council leader Bob Price said: “Now we have the SHMA numbers, the city is making the case for a review of the Green Belt. A recent meeting of the districts and the Government Planning Inspectorate identified that a Green Belt review would take no more than 12 months.”
It comes after the city council produced its own document, suggesting areas around the city for development, including land near Wheatley, Kidlington and Grenoble Road.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today