Controversial academic Julia Gasper is among the candidates in the upcoming Quarry and Risinghurst by-election for Oxford City Council.
It will take place on Thursday, September 18, triggered by the resignation of former Labour city councillor Laurence Baxter, who has moved to the Czech Republic for work.
Dr Gasper, who has in the past linked homosexuality with paedophilia and was previously a UKIP candidate for the same ward in 2012, is standing for the English Democrats, while Katharine Harborne is standing for the Conservatives.
Chewe Munkonge is standing for the Labour Party, Headington county councillor Roz Smith for the Lib Dems and Liz Taylor is the Green Party candidate.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community