POLICE issued 70 speeding tickets on Wednesday as part of a crackdown in 20mph zones.
Motorists on St Giles were targeted by Thames Valley Police’s road policing team during the morning operation.
In June it was announced that motorists flouting the 20mph speed limits by as little as 4mph would face a £100 fine and three points on their licence or a £95 speed awareness course as an alternative.
Previously, police only fined motorists doing 32mph or more in a 20mph zone because a speed awareness course for those breaking the lower limit was not available.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes