THE pooches of Barton are being washed, groomed and brushed in preparation for this year’s dog show.
Organised by dog-lover Hayley Davies, the annual event is on Sunday, September 28, and aims to bring together the estate’s community.
It will also raise money for two charities – Hounds for Heroes – which provides assistant dogs for the emergency services and armed forces – and Dogs for the Disabled.
Mrs Davies, who has two dogs, said: “It’s all about the community and bringing the people of Barton together.
“The area often gets a bad name but Barton offers a whole lot of things and it’s about reminding people of that and showing people there’s lots going on here.”
The show, to be held at Barton Neighbourhood centre, will feature a number of novelty classes for the dogs, including Prettiest Bitch, Handsomest Dog and Waggiest Tail and the ever-popular Puppy class.
The pooches will also be judged in more traditional categories: Hound, Pastoral, Utility, Toy, Gundog and Working.
The winner of each class will compete for the Best in Show title, with the overall victor receiving a free groom from the Oxford Dog Grooming Company.
Mrs Davies, of Edgecombe Road in Headington, said: “It has taken longer to organise it this year and it’s going to be bigger and better – we have stalls this year and more classes for the dogs.”
The 45-year-old added: “We’ve already had several dogs booked in, the word is spreading I’m excited and nervous too.”
Her 26-year-old son Aaron Britnell returned from Afghanistan earlier this month after a four-month tour serving with the Royal Corps of Signals.
She said they share a love of dogs which inspired the choice of charity.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech