A FORMER Cowley plant health and safety officer died from exposure to asbestos at the factory, a coroner ruled.
The family of Anthony Boodell, from Kidlington, are taking legal action over his death on April 25 aged 75, it was revealed at his inquest.
He worked at the former Pressed Steel factory from 1954 to 1988 where he contracted epithelial mesothelioma caused by asbestos.
In a 2010 statement filed at county court he said he was responsible as a tinsmith for removing ovens and furnaces and stripping lagging to 1968.
The statement, filed the same year he began to develop breathing difficulties, said: “As I removed the asbestos lagging I was exposed to asbestos dust.”
Assistant Oxfordshire coroner Peter Clark said: “He had previously worked in removing and relaying lagging and had undertaken other repairs and, as a result, was exposed to asbestos dust.”
This also came from “pipework and lagging and this being the likely cause of the mesothelioma”.
He recorded a verdict of death from industrial disease.
Although he was “doing extremely well” by March 2013, he went for radiotherapy the next year.
A statement from consultant in respiratory medicine Dr Najib Rahman said apart from heart disease that was being controlled, he had “no other significant medical history”.
He said it was “beyond reasonable doubt” that Mr Boodell – who died at the Churchill Hospital’s Sobell House Hospice – had epithelial mesothelioma.
Mr Clark heard legal proceedings are still ongoing.
Mr Boodell was appointed foreman in 1968 and principal safety engineer in 1986 and the disease presented itself 10 to 30 years after exposure.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
5:10pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was raped in Barns Road, Cowley on her way to the bus stop.
5:00pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A boy has been taken to hospital after being involved in a crash in Bicester.
6:36pm Thursday 8th October 2015
CCTV footage from an Oxford travellers’ site has shown a man who was allegedly kept as a slave being pushed around and treated “like a ragdoll”.
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
AN E-FIT of a man who ran away after being caught holding a little girl's hand in Greater Leys has been released by Thames Valley Police. According to officers, a two-year-old girl was playing outside a property in Shepherds Hill at about 6.20pm on Friday, September 11. When her mother came to check on her she saw a man holding the girl's hand. When she challenged the man, he ran away. He is described as white, in his thirties, about 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins with short spiky blond or brown hair. He was wearing a knee-length jacket that may have been leather. Investigating officer Det Con Lorna Briggs of Force CID in Oxford said: “We are keeping an open mind regarding this incident. There might be a innocent explanation as to why the man was holding the girl’s hand. “If anyone recognises the man in the E-fit or has any information about the incident then please contact your local police station."
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A BEGGAR has been banned by police from approaching people in Oxford and asking them for money, food or cigarettes.
7:50am Thursday 8th October 2015
MISSING teen Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton was found safe and well last night.