LAST August saw a new dawn at Gloucester Green market when the city council handed its day-to-day running over to two private firms.
One year on traders have said they are happy with the £200,000 worth of improvements made, including the new covered stalls.
LSD Promotions took over the running of the market along with Geraud UK, the largest operator of local authority markets in Europe.
Traders at the market, which trades on Wednesdays and Thursdays, said the investment has been well worth it.
Gary Merrill, who sells historic maps from his stall, has been trading there for two years.
He said: “The new stalls are a big improvement.
“You can’t really fault the market company. Our market traders association met with them in February and they asked how it had been and what they could do to make it better.
“We said things like promotion and they put out flyers and signs.
“Footfall isn’t up, but there seems to have been fewer tourists this year and who knows why that is.”
Peter Forbes, who has been running his brass stall at the market for 24 years, said he is also pleased with the changes.
He said: “I’ve seen a big improvement. The tents are far better, we don’t get wet when it rains. The people who run it now are very nice, we have no complaints.
“I have my loyal customers and I wanted to stay in the same place and the market company let me stay.
“Trade has been the same but the infrastructure, mainly the tents, is much better.
“We don’t have water running down our necks now when it rains. They have listened to our concerns.”
The market was being subsidised by Oxford City Council to the tune of about £80,000 a year before being sold.
Figures are not available for how much money it is now making, but at another market taken over by Geraud and LSD there was a marked improvement within a year.
Stratford-upon-Avon Market only had 40 trading stalls when it was taken over but by August last year had 63.
LSD managing director Dermot McGillicuddy, said: “There has not been one negative comment about the market in eight months. At the beginning some people were a bit unsure but it has gone well.
“We have spent £200,000, much of it on new equipment.
“We have gone for state of the art stalls – instant marquee pop-ups they’re called – which will withstand literally anything the market decides to throw at us. The old stalls weren’t covered and for the antiques people they used to be a nightmare when it rained. We have spent quite a significant amount on promotion as well.”
Mr McGillicudy said: “Investment so far has been in the region of £200,000 but we are not finished spending quite yet.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014
A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning.
11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014
A TEENAGER was raped in central Oxford this morning by a man she met in a nightclub.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.
9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014
Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.
9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014
A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.
Google wipes search results for 20 people's convictions after just one person's 'Right To Be Forgotten' request
8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014
THE convictions of 20 people have been wiped from Google search results because of a single complaint in the latest controversy caused by a controversial European privacy ruling.