THE death of a D-Day veteran and Oxford United fan who died after choking on food in a care home was yesterday ruled an accident.
Former Morris plant paint sprayer George Bateman, who had dementia, died at Manor House Nursing Home, Merton, Bicester, aged 96.
Care assistant Fatuma Hudspeth said she fed the former Bateman Street, Oxford, resident bits of sandwich dipped in soup in his room at about 5.30pm on April 24.
A statement read out at an inquest yesterday said: “He didn’t want any more so I gave him some squash.
“Then I realised he was not himself, I got worried and ran to get the nurse in charge.”
Registered general nurse Larilyn Macavinta said paramedics were called and Mr Bateman, who had a Do Not Attempt CPR order, was pronounced dead at 6pm.
Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter said Mr Bateman – a regular sight at U’s games from 1959 to 2001 – was “being fed, as far as we can ascertain, the appropriate food”.
Recording a verdict of an “accidental choking event”, he said cause of death of the former match steward was choking due to vascular dementia.
He said: “This wasn’t a case where we had a gentleman who had on previous occasions near choking events and is fed solid food and then choked.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
8:30am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
DRIVERS on three of the county’s busiest roads have been hit by delays more than 28 times every day this year.
7:20am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
ALMOST 40 firefighters were tackling a straw bale fire in a field in Hanwell near Banbury last night.
9:00am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
THE headteacher at a leading Oxford independent school has claimed mobile phones offer “limitless” possibilities for education in the classroom.
8:00am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
SLEEPING residents claim they have been abruptly woken in the middle of the night by drilling at the Westgate building site.
7:00am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
GOBLETS, old muskets and vintage cigar boxes are just some of the £2.5m worth of antique items Oxford City Council owns.
6:30am Wednesday 2nd September 2015
THE Leys Festival could be marred by dog fouling, with a councillor warning of a recent spate at Blackbird Leys Park.