VALE of White Horse has been ranked the seventh best place to live in a national poll.
Oxford, meanwhile, came 5,808th out of 7,137 districts in the Daily Telegraph survey.
Test Valley in Hampshire, came top in the country in the ranking published yesterday with Wokingham in Berkshire and Northumberland second and third.
Crime level in the Vale is the ninth lowest in the country, and economic activity, income and home ownership all ranked highly.
The district, which also has the best recycling rate in the country, is home to the Science Vale scientific campuses of Harwell, Culham and Milton Park.
The nationwide survey ranked all areas in England and Wales using official data on average incomes, crime rates, health, home ownership and economic activity.
Cherwell district was 880th, South Oxfordshire ranked at 1,102, West Oxfordshire came in at 2,471, while Oxford ranked 5,808th out of a total 7,137 areas.
The city scored badly on economic activity, home ownership and crime levels, but did well on health.
West Oxford, Headington and Cowley were all ranked slightly higher than the city centre at 3,835, 3,189 and 2,592 respectively.
- Browse the interactive map online at telegraph.co.uk
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon