FOUR people were arrested in Northern Ireland yesterday in connection with a letter bomb sent to Oxford’s Armed Forces Recruitment Office in February.
Two men, aged 35 and 46, and two women, aged 21 and 44, were arrested in Londonderry and were last night being questioned by detectives investigating letter bombs which were sent to six recruitment offices, including one in St Giles, and the Queensmere shopping centre in Slough, Berkshire.
In October last year explosive devices were also sent to a number of high-profile figures in Northern Ireland including the Secretary of State, Theresa Villiers, and the Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) at the time, Matt Baggott.
Two other letter bombs were intercepted at Royal Mail offices in the province.
An Irish dissident republican group calling itself the IRA claimed responsibility for the attempted attacks.
None of the devices detonated.
A PSNI spokesman yesterday said: “Police investigating a series of devices sent to addresses in Northern Ireland and England last year and earlier this year have arrested four people in Londonderry this morning.
“Two men, aged 35 and 46, and two women, aged 21 and 44, were arrested in the city and taken to the Serious Crime Suite at Antrim police station for interview.
“The investigation is being led by detectives from PSNI Serious Crime Branch who have been working in close liaison with officers from the South East Counter Terrorism Unit in England.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
6:00am Monday 3rd August 2015
A DEVOTED fundraiser and Blackbird Leys resident of 50 years was among the first to tell her story on camera for a heritage project.
11:32am Sunday 2nd August 2015
PART of Oxford Castle Quarter is cordoned off after a man was attacked in the early hours of this morning.
11:17am Sunday 2nd August 2015
SUNLIGHT shining through the window of a house sparked a blaze in Sibford Gower.
11:10am Sunday 2nd August 2015
There are delays of up to 30 minutes on CrossCountry between Reading and Birmingham New Street due to a broken down train at Oxford.
8:30am Saturday 1st August 2015
DEVELOPERS wanting to transform Cowley’s Templars Square Shopping Centre said they hope their plans will spur more development in the area.
5:13pm Saturday 1st August 2015
A FLASHER exposed himself to a woman in Bury Knowle Park yesterday.